A Tenure-Track Faculty position in Social Sciences & Humanities
emlyon Business School, seeks candidates to fill a tenured-track, assistant professor position, starting in July, 2021, to reinforce its OCE research center. We are seeking highly motivated candidates that demonstrate excellent research and teaching competences with a strong background in the areas of Social Sciences and Humanities, particularly Sociology with a strong interest in topics related to work, occupations and organizations. All applicants should have completed their Ph.D., or be close to complete it.
- OCE research center seeks to understand the transformations of contemporary societies, organizations and work through different lenses. Its members conduct research on topics such as social exclusion and social change, social movements, ethics, power and resistance, new forms of work and control, as well as the transformations of social relationships and their implications on individuals' lives. Members of the research center teach in different programs. Many of them are experienced ethnographers involved in teaching social sciences methods and topics with an attempt to familiarize students with rigorous fieldwork-based research.
- Members of the OCE Research Center have published in journals such as Academy of Management Review, Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, Ethnography, Journal of Management Studies, Organization Science, Organization, Organization Studies, Journal of Business Ethics, Journal of Business Venturing, Administrative Science Quarterly. They are actively involved in many scholarly associations (EGOS, CMS, AOM ) and also serve in editorial board roles at leading journals. They also publish books regularly.
emlyon business school, one of the leading French Grandes Ecoles in Management, has consistently been ranked among the top European Business Schools. It holds triple accreditation (AACSB, EQUIS, and AMBA) and offers a wide range of programs including an MSc in Management, Specialized Master's degrees, MBA, PhD, as well as open and tailor-made executive programs.
emlyon business school has campuses in France (Lyon and Paris), China (Shanghai) Morocco (Casablanca) and India (Bhubaneswar).
Having celebrated its 140th anniversary in 2012, emlyon business school is a dynamic and innovative institution with a 164-strong faculty dedicated to develop excellence both in teaching and research thanks to unique and specific means (learning lab, clusters of excellence ). emlyon's motto is early makers. This concept reflects our vision of the entrepreneur: an individual who tries, experiments, makes mistakes, starts again and learns as they go. An entrepreneur must now combine this dimension of doing and doing quickly with the ability to anticipate, mix and nurture ideas, see things before others and do things quicker than others. The entrepreneur from emlyon business school is a maker and an early mover. He/she is an early maker.
emlyon business school is at the center of a vibrant ecosystem of large universities with excellent research teams in engineering, computer science, natural sciences, social sciences, and the humanities (see: http://www.onlylyon.com/en/discover-lyon/education.html). Lyon is the second largest city in France, with a long tradition in entrepreneurship and with a strong digital industry.
We are looking for candidates who meet the following requirements.
- Having a Ph.D. in Social Sciences or Humanities (candidates who are close to completion are also acceptable). A particular interest in the sociology of work and workers, the transformation of work and occupations in the digital era, platform workers, dirty work will be appreciated.
- Demonstrating potential for conducting high quality research and publishing in top social sciences and organization/management journals.
- Showing interest and ability in developing courses and teaching at the undergraduate and graduate levels and in mentoring students.
- Having a relevant international network.
- Being a team player with good communication skills.
Responsibilities for this position include: conducting and publishing academic research and teaching, along with contributing to the service mission of the OCE research center. Teaching opportunities are available at the undergraduate, masters, and executive level. Language of instruction at emlyon Business School is both English and French. Speaking French is preferable but not required; for non-French candidates, support in learning French will be offered.
THE APPLICATION SHOULD CONSIST OF
- A cover letter containing your motivation for the position
- An up-to-date curriculum vitae
- A research statement
- A teaching statement (with teaching evaluations)
To schedule an interview, please prepare to up-load the above documents on the platform and complete the online form on the emlyon website.
Clarification questions can be directed to: Prof. David Courpasson.